Various chemistry textbooks have been published by members of the Division of Chemical
- General Chemistry, 9th Ed., by H. E. Holtzclaw, Jr., W. R. Robinson, and J. D. Odom, D.
C. Heath and Company, 1991
- Chemistry: Concepts and Models, W. R. Robinson. J. D. Odom, and H. F. Holtzclaw, Jr.,
D.C. Heath and Co., Lexington, 1992.
- Chemistry: An Experimental Science, 2nd Ed., by G. M. Bodner and H. L. Pardue, John
Wiley and Sons, August, 1994.
- Chemistry: Structure and Dynamics, Preliminary Edition, by G. M. Bodner, L. H. Rickard,
and J. N. Spencer, John Wiley and Sons, August, 1995.
Representative publications by members of the Division include:
- G. M. Bodner, I Have Found You An Argument: The Conceptual Knowledge of Beginning
Chemistry Graduate Students, J. Chem. Ed., 68, 385-388 (1991).
- C. W. Bowen and G. M. Bodner, Problem-Solving Processes Used by Graduate Students While
Solving Tasks in Organic Synthesis, Internat. J. Sci. Education, 13, 143-158 (1991).
- G. M. Bodner, The Forum: Refocusing the General Chemistry Curriculum, Why Changing the
Curriculum May Not Be Enough, J. Chem. Ed., 69, 186-190 (1992).
- N. W. Brickhouse and G. M. Bodner, The Beginning Science Teacher: Narratives of
Convictions and Constraints, J. Res. Sci. Teaching, 29, 471-485 (1992).
- G. M. Bodner and D. S. Domin, The Role of Representations in Problem Solving in
Chemistry, in Toward a Cognitive-Science Perspective for Scientific Problem Solving: A
Monograph of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching , Number 6,
- W. R. Robinson and M. Niaz, Performance Based on Instruction by Lecture or by
Interaction and Its Relationship to Cognitive Variables, Internat. J. Sci. Education, 13,
- M. Niaz and W. R. Robinson, Manipulation of Logical Structure of Chemistry Problems and
Its Effect on Student Performance, J. Res. Sci. Teaching, 29, 211-226 (1992).
- W. R. Robinson and M. H. Townes, Student Use of Test Wiseness Strategies in Solving
Multiple-Choice General Chemistry Examinations, J. Res. Sci. Teaching, 30, 709-722 (1993).
- S.C. Nurrenbern and W. R. Robinson, Unexpected Aspects of Quantitative Research, J.
Chem. Ed., 71, 181-183 (1994)
- W. R. Robinson, A Window on the Solid State, Part I. Structures of Metals and Part II.
Unit Cells of Metals;. J. Chem. Ed.-Software, April, 1994.
- M. B. Nakhleh, Are Our Students Conceptual Thinkers or Algorithmic Problem Solvers?
Identifying Conceptual Students in General Chemistry, J. Chem. Ed., 70, 52-55 (1993).
- M. B. Nakhleh and R. C. Mitchell, Concept Learning versus Problem Solving: There Is a
Difference, J. Chem. Ed., 70, 190-192 (1993).
- M. B. Nakhleh and J. S. Krajcik, A Protocol Analysis of the Effect of Technology on
Students' Actions, Verbal Commentary, and Thought Processes During the Performance of
Acid-Base Titrations, J. Res. Sci. Teaching, 30, 1149-1168 (1993).
- M. B. Nakhleh, Students' Models of Matter in the Context of Acid-Base Chemistry, J.
Chem. Ed., 71, 495-499 (1994).
- M. B. Nakhleh and J. S. Krajcik, Influence of Levels of Information as Presented by
Different Technologies on Students' Understanding of Acid, Base, and pH Concepts, J. Res.
Sci. Teaching, 31, 1077-1096 (1994).